Green Card

Green Card Immigration

It is almost impossible to define what makes your home a home. However, for many proud American immigrants, home can be defined in two words: green card. Once you obtain a green card, you are no longer considered a “temporary visitor”. Instead, you become a “lawful permanent resident” of the United States and get to enjoy many of the rights shared with natural-born citizens.

However, getting your green card is one thing. Keeping it is another. We are here to help you both secure your freedoms as a permanent resident of the U.S. while protecting you from the often-complicated legal systems that may threaten you.

Green cards allow you to:

  • Travel outside the U.S. and return
  • Live in the U.S. without a visa
  • Work any job in the U.S.
  • Apply for visas to help bring your family to the U.S.

Green cards reflect a significant step on the path to citizenship and generally last for around 10 years (they can be renewed). If you are an immigrant looking for permanent resident status, it’s important to know the different avenues available to receive your green card.

How to Get a Green Card


This is often the easiest way to go about getting a green card. If you are over 21 years old, you may sponsor a family member for a green card if they are a:

  • Child or spouse
  • Parent
  • Sibling
  • Widow or widower of a U.S. citizen
  • Stepchild of a United States citizen


Another extremely popular way of obtaining a green card is through your work. Luis Rondon Immigration Attorney Services focus on successful work-related green card sponsorships. You can rest assured we will work with you and your employer to turn the prospect of your permanent residency into a reality.

Considering this is such a popular method for green card sponsorship, there are some preferences in place that may increase your chances of receiving permanent residency. They are as follows:

  1. First priority: Employees with outstanding abilities in the arts, sciences, business, or athletics. This may include exceptional professors and researchers.
  2. Second priority: Employees working a job that requires an advanced degree.
  3. Third priority: Skilled workers at a job requiring two years training or experience, employees with a job requiring a U.S. bachelor’s degree, and all other “unskilled” workers.

Special Immigrants

Immigrants working in specific, specialized roles may qualify for a green card under the USCIS program. Some of these roles include:

  • Religious professionals
  • Members of the armed forces
  • International broadcasters

For a complete list of special roles that may qualify for green cards, reach out to us any time at (310) 241-3826.


For permanent residents or citizens of the United States, marriage-based green cards may be an option for foreign spouses. For U.S. citizens with foreign spouses, the process is relatively fast. For permanent residents with foreign spouses, the wait time may be lengthy. This depends on many factors such as the foreign spouse’s place of birth.

Cuban Adjustment Act

As of 1966, The Cuban Adjustment Act allows certain natives of Cuba to attain permanent residency. In order to qualify for a green card under the Cuban Adjustment Act you must:

  • Be a citizen of Cuba
  • File Form I-485
  • Have been physically present in the U.S. for at least one year and at the time of filling out the above form
  • Be in favor with the exercise of the USCIS’ discretion

Green Card Reminders

Once you obtain a green card, it’s crucial you maintain positive relations with the United States government. The last thing you want after fighting for your permanent residency is to lose it.

  • Do not leave the United States for more than six months at a time without a form of temporary travel authorization (such as a reentry permit or Advance Parole document)
  • Do not violate the law

Breaking certain laws may qualify you for deportation, so it’s important to always keep this information at the front of your mind when pursuing a green card in the U.S.